SC - A recipe question (unbelievable I know)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jun 2 17:22:09 PDT 1998

> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 11:30:57 -0400
> From: Christi Redeker <Christi.Redeker at digital.com>
> Subject: SC - A recipe question (unbelievable I know)

> Now my question
>
> In the recipe it tells "take eight dried mild cheese".  I am figuring that
> it doesn't mean eight different types of cheeses, but one   in a quantity of
> eight.  What kind of cheese would they be considering dried mild?  I know
> that green cheese can mean a number of things, but I do not know what to use
> in this recipe.  The author suggests fresh pecorino or mozzarella, but those
> are both fresh.  What is the difference in dried and fresh cheeses if I
> choose to use them?
>
> Murkial (the ever curious)

Hmmm...I can't say what is meant by "eight...cheese", but given the
amount of almonds and eggs, eight ounces wouldn't be too bad a guess.
Still, no more than a guess. As for the question on mildness vs.
dryness, I have to say I have never seen fresh pecorino, which is the
sheep's milk cheese most Americans call "Romano". It isn't the tangiest
thing in the world, but far from mild, a bit like dried yogurt. I would
highly recommend Parmaggiano Reggio (a.k.a. Parmesan) instead. It's less
tangy and more nutty: although made pretty similarly, it's made from
cow's milk intead of sheep's. Mozzarella might do, but it isn't the
dried cheese the recipe calls for.  If you can find cacciocavallo, it
would probably be pretty close to what is intended.

Adamantius

- --
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com