SC - Pine nuts

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Thu Jun 4 11:11:14 PDT 1998

                      RE>>SC - Pine nuts                           6/4/98

<snip>The problem is gettin to them,since you have to gather the unopened pine
cones pry them open and pull out the pine nuts.  (The picturesque nicely open
pine cones you see in Christmas
crafts have already dropped their seeds.)  I've heard that you can use heat to
force the cones open, but I'm not sure exactly how you would do that.
<snip>

I remember a beautiful book from my childhood, about life in a Hopi village-
when it was pinon gathering season the people would go out, spread blankets
under the trees and either hit the cones and limbs with sticks or have the
children climb up in the trees and shake them- then they gathered up what fell
into the blankets.
My experience with trees in general would say they probably got a lot of bugs,
sap, and other junk... but it is a pituresque image!
- -brid