SC - pine nuts

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jun 6 00:14:06 PDT 1998

>Rowan said...
><snip>
>>Hmm. As far as I am aware, there is only one type of pine nut - the pinion
>>pine. As with other plants, there are regional variations, but it is the
>>same species. BTW most pine nuts world wide come from China (ah trivia)

Looking at the jar of pine nuts on my shelf, these are like little, skinny
corn kernals. I seem to remember the pin~on pine nuts I ate in New Mexico
being rounder. Also, the ingredient list on the jar says "tender nuts obtained
from the cones of certain pine trees". This implies to me that there is
more than one type of pine tree. Umm, yes of course. But wouldn't all pine
trees produce pine nuts? Thus more than one type of pine nut.

And this jar does say "Product of China".

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net