SC - Horror Story (Warning, angry cook venting)

The Cheshire Cat sianan at geocities.com
Sat Jun 6 01:59:26 PDT 1998

>>    Does anyone else have similar horror stories? I'm sure we would all
>> be amused by them! Murkial, you should not feel guilty in the least. You
>> have made a blow for creative freedom & acknowledgment for all of us SCA
>> cooks! ;)
>>
>> Master Huen

Warning.....coolant leak.....reactor temperature rising......

Right, everyone telling their stories of woe has brought back a nasty memory.

I have a Horror story to tell,but I was just a helper.

  At a rather ambitious feast at the end of last year, something happened
that actually scared off one poor cook for a whole six months.
The Autocrat suggested a lunchtime feast.  This in itself wasn't a problem.
The location was a terrible once since it was way out back of Whoop-Whoop,
not close to anywhere of any convenience.  It was chosen for the setting if
nothing else.  He DELEGATED this young girl into feastocratting, and then
put her in a position where she couldn't back out if it.  So she soldiered
on, right up to several crisises in her life which effectively made
attending the feast difficult, let alone Feastocratting it!  So  a few of
the kinder people helped out.  I researched the recipes and helped cook
them.
   We made the Autocrat promise to provide some items that would be needed,
A tent of some kind to keep the food in, a table to prepare the food for
serving and a couple of chairs.  One week ahead, when the cooking was in
full swing,  She got the flu and so did several others.  Those who did not
succumb battled on.
   The day of the even arrived and all arrived to enjoy the event.  The sun
was shining and the spirits were high since there was to be fighting after
lunch.  The cooks in the carloads of food arrived aonly to find that the
Autocrat didn't bring any table or chair and the tent was only a tiny
A-frame.  The cooks were a little annoyed, but we spread out some rugs and
set about preparing the food for serving.
Every one was happy until we discovered that the Autocrat did not give us
any room in the feast area and the numbers of people expecting to be fed
was waaaaaay over what he told us.  So the feast was slightly undercatered.
To this the Autocrat saw fit to barge into the small area we set aside as
the cooks area and berate us all.  Me, I'm not one who likes to be screamed
at, so I stood up and screamed right back at him.  If I was a fighter, I
would have laid on with every bit of strength left me.  The Feastocrat just
burst into tears.
  The Autocrat, after the Lunch led EVERYONE else off to the fighting area,
leaving to cooks to clear everything off the tables and get them ready for
collection.  (He had organised them to be collected by the hire company at
2.00pm.
  In closing court, the cooks got not one bit of credit for what I thought
was a superhuman effort in the face of such idiocy.  And we suffered though
snide comments about undercatered feasts for weeks.  The Autocrat spread
the word that those who cooked was to blame fo everything, and that this
young girl, who had taken a little too much stress and was on councelling
afterwards (NOONE should every have to go on counselling after they run a
feast)  dissapeared never to be heard from again.  What a lovely Barony we
have here!!
  Whew...... Sorry about that I was just venting a little.  I'll step off
my soapbox start looking around for a rock to crawl under.

- -Sianan

Marina Denton
sianan at geocities.com

		How can you let sleeping dogs lie