SC - Jellies vs. aspics

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Sat Jun 6 06:25:08 PDT 1998

>>.I would find it very hard to believe that fruit jellies in the since
that we think of them were known during the Middle Ages.
Ras<<

Probably not jelly, as in morning toast, but 'conserve' is jam.  Martha
Washington's Cookbook has recipes.  Taillevent only does meat jellies,
and don't have time to read indexes--or mail lists for that matter--so
we'll have to check out how far back 'conserve' goes.  I'm guessing we
won't find conserves until we find a good supply of sugar--I've never
tried using honey in a jam recipe, but I don't think you'd get the same
consistency.  As for cooked, sweetened, mashed fruit, you get 'mus' in
the German corpus, which turns out like applesauce, etc., depending on
the fruit.  It is used generally as a sauce.

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com