Jams not period??? (was SC - Mulberry question)

Karen Evans tyrca at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 6 14:08:26 PDT 1998

Advice from Adamantius went as follows:

a) cook your preserves (beyond the normal point
where they seem done,
that is) quickly, in a wide pan like a deep
skillet, until you can draw
a spoon through it and it forms clean walls --
thick enough to hold
stiff peaks, more or less. Watch out for burning,
and for burns: this
stuff is hotter than boiling water, and could
splash. Kinda like napalm.
When it's done (you don't need no steenking
saucer pectin test) pour
into oiled molds for a marmalade or fruit cheese,
which is eaten in
slices, or in wide flat drops on wax paper, for
cakes or pastilles.
Pastilles are eaten drier and firmer. Serve
either with bread or
biscuits (as in biscotti, not "cat-heads") and
cheese. Earlier period
versions of this type of fruit paste were often
made with honey.
<<<<<<<<

This is interesting.  I had not realized the beginnings of such a
thing.  Several years ago, I spent about 16 months living in Northern
Brazil, and found in the grocery stores a canned product called (in
English) guava paste.  It was approximately what our High Priest
described, made of guava.  It was not as sweet as some preserves I
have had, and had that grainy guava texture, but I enjoyed it.  They
also had banana paste, that I liked even more.  Much to my delight, I
have found the guava paste (not the banana, alas :-( ) in the area of
local grocery stores that cater to the hispanic population.  The cans
are flat, and about 6"in diameter, about 2" thick.  Now that I know
that this approximates medieval preserves, I can pack a can along on
camping trips with a clear conscience!!

Tyrca