SC - Jellies vs. aspics

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Sun Jun 7 00:50:25 PDT 1998

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998 geneviamoas at juno.com wrote:

> necessary to make jellies to do this or would they have prepared them
> some other way for storage? It seems to me to be a lot of investment with

Well, there is at least one berry that is simplicity itself to preserve:
simply place in a closed container with plain water. It's the
lingonberry (Vaccinium vitis-idea), which contains enough benzoic acid
to preserve themselves.  Nice, if rather tart for most peoples taste. It
is also one of the sweater wild berries (666 g/kg sugars (dry weight),
with 85% water in the fresh berry).

No idea if it was done in the middle ages, just that the method is
oldish (i.e. few hundred years, IIRC).

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                           parlei(at)algonet.se
http://www.algonet.se/~parlei
Cunning and deceit will every time serve a man better than force.
                 -- Niccolo Machiavelli