SC - RE: Fermented Beverage Recipe Question

Tue Jun 9 11:01:18 PDT 1998

> While I do not disagree with what you are saying, there are some other
> things going on here.  Apicius wrote his cookbook long before guilds came
> into existence.
<deleted>

> I think its kinda funny that Apicius doesn't give a bread recipe because
> he figured if you were a cook you would know how to do it.
>
> Yours,
> Avelina Keyes

As a small aside, the first commercial cooks in Roman Italy were bakers.
Commercial Roman bakeries pre-date Apicius.   I' d suggest that Apicius
ignored bread because he bought it from the best baker in the city.

While the Roman bakers may not have had a guild as the Middle Ages knew
them, I'm willing to bet they had some kind of organization to ease
competition and adjudicate disputes.

Bear