SC - venison

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jun 10 22:59:15 PDT 1998

>> (I've only had venison twice. Both times at SCA feasts)

>You need to befriend a hunter that knows how to prepare venison properly
>(butchers it himself, removes all the silver skin & gristle - those are
>what gives the strong flavour people object to)!  Good venison is soooo
>wonderful!

Yes, it would be nice to have a friend that is a hunter and had a surplus
of venison. I do remember that for one of these two SCA feasts we were
supposed to have venison steaks or somesuch, but the baronial hunters
weren't as lucky as they first let on and we ended up with venison stew
because the meat needed to be stretched some.

As for the butchering of game, there was a little discussion of this here
recently. Some of that dicussion found it's way into this file in my
ANIMALS section:

butchering-msg    (23K)  4/17/98    Overview of butchering livestock and game.

If you have any additional material to add to this, send me a message with
it and I will consider adding it. I'm afraid when I cut up a chicken, it
doesn't end up looking anything like the pieces you usually get when you
buy a cut up chicken from the store or Col. Sanders. And that is starting
with a cleaned, plucked chicken.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net