SC - Sigh. (was: shish kebabs)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Jun 12 17:48:12 PDT 1998

At 3:22 PM -0700 6/12/98, kat wrote:

>... whether or not lettuce was eaten in the Islamic cultures, and what was
>the closest they ever came to the modern, mundane, falafel-style "pita
>salad."

1. I have just checked through Charles Perry's translation of the big 13th
c. Andalusian cookbook. Lettuce is referred to several times, always as a
cooked vegetable.

2. I have not seen any reference to what you are calling "pita salad" in
period Islamic sources.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/