SC - Sigh. (was: shish kebabs)

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jun 12 18:37:26 PDT 1998

In a message dated 6/12/98 8:42:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

<< 1. I have just checked through Charles Perry's translation of the big 13th
 c. Andalusian cookbook. Lettuce is referred to several times, always as a
 cooked vegetable.

 2. I have not seen any reference to what you are calling "pita salad" in
 period Islamic sources.

 David/Cariadoc >>

I concur with His Grace. A  quick glance through al-Batghdadi shows lettuce
only as a cooked vegetable also. And, there are no "stuffed" pita pocket type
recipes at all. Given that both of the major works which describe Arabic
cookery  (Andalusia in Spain and al-Baghdadi in the Mid-East) do not contain
references to this way of using flat breads or lettuce, or for that matter the
use of any vegetable in that manner, I would suggest that such  uses of these
ingredients in the way you describe are probably not period uses.

I would further suggest that if lettuce is to be used a cooked dish of lettuce
would be preferrable  unless you intend to have a salad. In that case, it is
documentable as an ingredient in at least late period salads. ;-) Good luck in
your efforts to introduce your area to appropriate period food. :-)

Ras