SC - Figs!

geneviamoas at juno.com geneviamoas at juno.com
Fri Jun 12 19:03:16 PDT 1998

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:56:29 -0400 Bonne <oftraquair at hotmail.com> writes:
>We moved house last week, and I've discovered a fig tree behind the
>garage.
>So, what should I do with them when they are ripe?
>
>Bonne

Make Fig Preserves (it may be Out of Period but it is GOOD!)

5 pounds figs
4 pounds sugar
1 teaspoon cream of tarter
1 lemon

Cook all together for a long time, about 2 hours.

That was the original recipe given to my Gramdmother by Mrs. Renfoe. I
copied it and started asking questions. This is what I got to add to it
from my G'mother.

Wash figs and weigh them. Put the sugar in on top of the figs with a
little water. Heat on low until sugar melts and increase heat slowly.
Slice thin rounds of lemon into this.When it begins to boil add in cream
of tarter folding in. Let it cook until it gets real thick - about like
molasses syrup. Put in hot sterilized jarsand allow to cool. Pour parafin
over top to seal out air (make sure there are no air bubbles) Complete
sealing of jars with rings and tops etc.

>From my memories of these they were whole figs in a clear sweet syrup
with a hint of citrus flavor. The lemon circles were great too and were
placed in the jars with the figs Very pretty.

Enjoy!
Genevia
geneviaMoAS at juno.com