SC - Lookit what I found!

THLRenata at aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Sun Jun 14 10:09:09 PDT 1998

Hello, the list!

I just got a copy of The Complete Receipt Book of Ladie Elynor Fetiplace and
look what I found (amongst medicinals with truly appalling ingredients):

To Butter Potato Roots

Take the roots & bole them in water, till the bee verie soft, then peele them
& slice them, then put some rosewater to them and sugar & the pill of an
orenge, & some of the iuice of the orenge, and so let them boile good while,
then put some butter to them, & when the butter is melted serve them. This way
you may bake them, but put them unboiled into the paste.

Am I imagining it, or is this a 16th Century recipe for potatoes that gentry
would eat?

(Guess what I'm making for dinner tonite!)

Renata