SC - Re: sources of sources.

Valoise Armstrong vjarmstrong at aristotle.net
Sun Jun 14 12:09:50 PDT 1998

Bear wrote:

>Of the cookbooks, the only one I think may have been commercially copied is
>Apicius, which was published about 1498, having been derived from two 9th
>Century manuscripts which were apparently copied from a 4th Century
>manuscript.

There are at least two more titles that extremely popular starting in the
late fifteenth century and continuing into the sixteenth. Platina's De
honesta voluptate (taken from Martino's Libro de Arte Coquinairia) first
showed up about 1475, underwent at least 16 Latin editions and was
translated into Italian (1487), French (1505), and German (c. 1542) as well
as being widely plagiarized by other authors.

Kuchenmeisterei was printed first in 1485 and continued to be printed under
various titles for almost two hundred years. I don't know if it was ever
translated into any other languages.

Valoise