SC - creations and creativity

Mon Jun 15 13:31:46 PDT 1998

> my problem however is the current A&S standards.  My kingdom (the
> Outlands) and to the best of my knowledge most kingdoms, have a checklist
> that they go through in rating A&S entries.  One of the categories is
> creativity.  Last fall one of my apprentices did a masterful redaction of
> a period recipe complete with extensive documentation and very tasty
> results.  However, she was marked -down- for not being 'creative' in
> working with her recipe.  The insinuation was that if she had added some
> additional ingredients or a different cooking method then her score would
> have been perfect.  This was not by any means the first time that i've had
> to deal with this.
>
> What's our suggested course of action?
>
> elaina

The problem is "creativity" is not defined in terms of the types of projects
being judged, and each judge then applies their definition of creativity.
This is sure to cause problems once the judge steps beyond their area of
expertise.

"Everyone" knows that the way to cook is to follow the recipe; therefore,
slavishly following the recipe is not "creative."   Yet I would like to see
"everyone" try to create a dish by precisely following a period recipe.
Unlike modern recipes, period recipes must be interpreted, and it is this
interpretation which is the creative part of reproducing a period dish.  If
the redaction is original, then the creative criterion has been met

To resolve your problem, you might 1) find judges who are truly knowledgable
in the culinary arts, 2) define how various projects should be evaluated as
an improvement of the A&S standards, 3) get the judges to interview the
participants as to the quality, authenticity and creativity of their work,
or 4) include a statement in the documentation as to how a given project
meets the A&S criteria.

Frankly, my opinion of A&S competitions is rather low, having seen too many
subjective evaluations and erroneous opinions rendered by judges lacking in
expertise.  I wish you well in improving the system.

Bear