SC - Fave dei Morti (Beans of the Dead)

Robert Newmyer rnewmyer at epix.net
Wed Jun 17 21:52:05 PDT 1998

I found the following recipe thru a friend. Pretty basic but tasty. I have
no idea of the origin of this version but I thought a Fave de Morti recipe
that actually contains beans would be of interest.

Fava de Morti
(Fava Beans)

1 lb.   broad beans, dried
5   large garlic cloves, mashed
2   bay leaves
   salt
   pepper
   olive oil, extra virgin

 Soak the beans in water overnight.  Next morning drain and put in pot with
fresh water, the garlic, and the bay leaves, and simmer until tender.  This
may take two to three hours, depending on the age of the beans.  Add water,
if necessary, but aim for a thick rather than runny sauce at the end.
Season with salt, pepper, and plenty of really good olive oil.  Serve with
lemon and parsley.  This dish is good tepid or at room temperature, and is
even better the next day.

from "Painters & Food - Renaissance Recipes" by Gillian Riley

               Griffith Allt y Genlli
               Bob Newmyer
               E-mail: rnewmyer at epix.net
               Web Page: http://www.epix.net/~rnewmyer

     Enjoy your life. If you don't, no one else will.
             Fast Cheap Good - Choose two

- -