SC - venison

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 19 09:18:13 PDT 1998

Here in the Barony of Angels, we get New Zealand farm venison from
better butchers.  Available in haunches, chops, chopped for stew and
ground.  One of my best 'improve' dishes has been 'Bambi Bourgignon,' a
simple stew of venison, cheap red wine, onions and torn-up rye bread,
those being what I had on hand for thickening.  CHEAP jug wine is
preferred over good drinkable stuff, its acid and tannin content having
a tenderizing effect.

> > >It used to be that raising deer, boar, bear, et al for the table was
illegal in the USA.  Why, I have no idea, as we have such a large and
wonderful fish farm program for re-stocking lakes, streams, etc.  Almost
every state has something like that. >>>

I don't know why either.  Our local deer, the small mule deer, is said
to be not particularly good eating.

Selene