SC - Mulling recipes

Yeldham, Caroline S csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk
Mon Jun 22 03:23:21 PDT 1998

> Varju at aol.com [SMTP:Varju at aol.com]
>
> << When apple cider is first made, it is not fermented.  Perfectly safe
> for
>  kids and recovering alcoholics and others who don't want alcoholic
>  drinks >>
>
> I have always heard that referred to as apple juice.  If it has alcohol in
> it
> its cider.  I think most of the languages I've learned have also had this
> distinction.  I think this is also the line of thought Ras was taking,
> especially since he is our expert on alcohol. :->
>

> Noemi

	Just to add an English perspective, this is certainly the English
usage.  Cider is fermented apple juice.  Apple juice is usually sold
filtered and clear, cider varies from clear filtered sweet stuff to lethal
scrumpy, which is often cloudy, and has a reputation for inflicting severe
(permanent) brain damage.  Don't see much distilled cider over here, and its
usually Calvados when we do (ie classy French apple brandy).

	In period I would expect very little apple juice to be drunk.  Apple
juice will ferment quite happily by itself in the absense of modern
sterilisers etc, so you would soon end up with cider if you did try to keep
apple juice!  Another factor is that true cider is made from cider apples,
which are much more bitter than eating apples, modern apple juice is made
from eating apples.

	Caroline