SC - Are creations period?

David Friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Jun 21 20:53:20 PDT 1998

>I feel the same way about cooking.  All the discussion right now is
>about recipes that were written 200-300 years after my persona is long
>dead.  It is all well and good for you to insist that creative cooking
>and research and innovation on period style are not needed because of
>the huge body of work available, but in my case I do not find it so.
>I have studied the archeological reports of the remains of foodstuffs
>found in pre-Norman Ireland, but there is very little in the way of
>cookbooks from that period to tell me what I want to know.  Are you
>implying that I change my persona to match the existent cook books?

No. I am implying that one consequence of your choice of persona is that
you cannot do cooking appropriate to your persona and be as confident that
it is actually period as you could if you had (say) a 14th c. English
persona. I'm not arguing against doing your best to figure out what would
have been done in your period and doing it. It sounds like an interesting
(and difficult) project.

As I said earlier in the thread, the answer to the question "if I use
period ingredients and period techniques is the result period cooking"
(paraphrased--I don't have easy access to the original post) is "I don't
know--and neither do you." I've never argued that one shouldn't do anything
one isn't sure is period.  I am arguing against  making false claims, not
against doing imperfect things when that is the best that it is practical
to do.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/