OT: SC - Re: no pot pictures

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jun 25 05:41:39 PDT 1998

LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> Adamantius, Anne Marie, et al,
>
> Sorry, no pics from my German cookbook.  I managed to scan the one with
> the coals channel in the lid, but I can't send it.  I get the .jpg file
> name in the attachment line, but when I try to send it, it takes 10-15
> minutes, sends the remaining mail, leaves Adamantius' in the outbox, and
> crashes the computer.  I've restarted 3 times, and the office toolbar
> still has garbage for icons.  Don't know how to fix it.  Made 3 tries,
> and I did think that #2 would get thru, but he hasn't said he got it.
> Try the ISBN via Interlibrary loan. Or come visit.

Whoa, hey, I did get one! It was a page with three recipes in German,
and an illustration of a pot. If necessary I can resend the note I sent
when I got it.

Scans do seem to be larger files than some other jpegs; I wonder if
there's some kind of file size limit for attachments set by your ISP. If
you like I can try to make it smaller using Photoshop and/or DeBabelizer
(you don't need either for subsequent viewings, as long as you have a
.jpg viewer). Whether the text would be usable is another story, but
then the pot is what people were interested in, and it should be easy to
crop the picture. The German text turns out to be recipes for some
fairly modern versions of brown sauces, like Espagnole and Robert, so
I'd guess they're not essential to this listserv.

I'll try cropping the picture from the full page and send it back to
you, Allison. That should help. I haven't a clue as the problem you're
having with your system, but I'd guess it is expressing its displeasure
over your imprudent and impudent use of a non-Microsoft product like
Netscape. Microsoft software tends not to play well with other children,
in my experience. What's that line from one of the Star Trek movies?
Something about displacing all existing life forms in favor of its new
matrix?

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com