SC - cookbook recommendations

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Jun 26 00:03:27 PDT 1998

Katherine_Osburn-Day asked:

>     For those of us who are relatively new to period cooking, and are not good
>     judges of what is and what is not period, what book would you recommend as
>     the first for our library?  I have a copy of Fabulous Feasts and some
>     greek/italian/biblical recipe books, but none of them really give dates.

Fabulous Feasts generally gets downrated due to the fact that the author
doesn't
give the original recipes and in fact appears to have made some of them up. The
first half of the book does seem to have some good information though.

For some opinions on which period cookbooks to get, you might want to take
a look at these files in the FOOD section of my Stefan's Florilegium:

cb-rv-Apicius-msg (22K)  9/12/97    Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.
cookbooks-bib     (32K)  4/21/97    Cookbook bibliography by Jaelle of Armida.
cookbooks2-bib    (14K) 10/ 3/97    Cookbook bibliography by Stephen Bloch.
cookbooks-msg    (126K) 12/ 9/96    Reviews of cookbooks with medieval recipes.
cookbooks-SCA-msg (12K)  5/29/98    Cookbooks written by people in the SCA.
cooking-bib       (14K)  1/24/95    Bibliography on cooking sources.
Med-Cook-rev-art   (9K)  6/26/96    Review of "The Medieval Cookbook".

I am working on a file specifically on period cookbooks for beginners but
I've not finished yet. Perhaps some of the other responses to your question
will prove useful for this.

In the meantime, I think some of the cookbooks written by SCA folks in the
cookbooks-SCA-msg file might be a good start.

My files can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net