SC - Re: Dangerous misinformation (bacterial selection)

Alma Johnson chickengoddess at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 26 04:43:57 PDT 1998

>However, the bacteria that live in other mediums such as what might land on
>your counter are somewhat killed by antibacterial soap and not a total wipe
>out. The strength is not of a sufficient level to be a threat to the
>mutation of a stronger strain which with be immune to it. >

This is a common misconception, and one which only adds to the problem of
bacaterial resistance that we are already experiencing.  The problem with an
'insufficient level', or, underdosing , is that only the very weakest are
killed and the stonger, more naturally _resistant_ bacteria are left.
Stronger strains are rarely a product of mutation, but are commonly products
of low dose antibiotic/antibacterial _selection_.   Thus we are creating the
"superbugs" you read about in magazines or see on the news.  Or, possibly
experience in everyday life.  Ultra-low levels of antibiotics which can be
found in commercial meat products made from animals which were regularly
prophylaxed by antibiotic injections or feed additives are also contributing
to the problem. As are irresponsible beekeepers who allow chemicals and
antibiotics to taint the honey often sold as 'natural' and 'healthy',
because they think more is better when it comes to protecting a dwindling
bee population.

And just because I'm already wearing the hat, bacterial or viral _mutation_
is what most commonly bring us what we think of as "new" diseases.
Especially viruses. Take the cold. It mutates so fast you can catch several
different colds in one seson.  Or Ebola Zaire.  Or when a viral agent
responsible for an epizootic mutates and becomes virulent to humans -
voila - HIV.

Don't mean to be a doomsayer here, but I just wanted to know that all you
guys out there understand how selection workscourse) Plain soap and HOT
water are still sufficient for cleanliness, and a solution of bleach
thoroughly sanitizes (kills everything) and is the simplest way to go. And
no, one person using this antibiotic or that bacteriostat isn't going to
create a monster bug.  But the cumultive effects of indiscriminate use of
these agents by a large population are already having world impact.

Rhiannon Cathaoir-mor, OL/
Alma Johnson, R.Ph.