SC - Sugar Questions

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Sun Jun 28 19:34:01 PDT 1998

A Note for the Aussie's on this list:

> Modern Powdered sugar is cut with cornstarch to keep it from clumping
> and
> to make it look whiter. So, no, modern storebought powdered sugar is
> not
> period. In fact, if you use it in some recipes, the cornstarch will do
> very
> funky things. If you take regular sugar and whiz it long enough in
> your
> food processor, you will get "superfine" sugar, ie essentially
> powedered
> sugar without the cornstarch. I have occasionally seen superfine at
> the
> store, too, and know its available through cake decorating catelogs.

We can buy Icing Sugar and Incing Powder.

Icing POWDER is indeed cut with cornstarch or wheatstarch.  However,
Icing SUGAR is simply powdered sugar - the next stage up from Caster
Sugar.

For ease of use I use Icing Sugar in some confectionery recipes, instead
of granulated white sugar.

I wont enter the debate on sugar being that finely ground is/is not
period, but just wanted to clarify that not all powdered sugar in
Australia is cut.

Meliora - who learns these things because her mother is a Coeliac !!