SC - Sugar Questions

Karen Evans tyrca at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 29 04:48:40 PDT 1998

I've taken blake sugre to mean an unrefined sugar, similar to Mexican
pilon
or piloncillo or panela (which are produced by boiling down sugar cane
juice in an iron kettle).  As stated already, today's brown sugar is
processed white sugar with molasses added.  Given a choice, I'd
substitute
dark brown sugar for blake sugre for sanitary reasons -- whenever I've
managed to find panela it's been displayed unwrapped & was swarming with
flies.  Yum!

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
<<<<<<<<

Some might be interested that last week at Albertson's, I saw a box
labeled "Raw Sugar" on the  shelf next to the brown Sugar.   Could
this  be  related to cone sugar?

Tyrca