SC - Sugar Questions

Margritte margritt at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 30 10:41:10 PDT 1998

Hats off to all the gentles who took the time to answer my questions about
the periodness of powdered sugar. I'm looking forward to further
experimentation in future recipes.

Here's a bit of background on the questions: When I tried the recipe for
sugar paste the first time, I used regular granulated sugar. The results
were terrible. The taste was ok, but the texture wasn't at all what I had
in mind. My mortar and pestle just weren't getting the job done. So I used
powdered sugar. I did so knowing full well that it cornstarch in it, but I
included my reasons for using it in my documentation and hoped for the
best. I just couldn't believe it when a judge responded with "Powdered
sugar isn't period!" After all, the recipe clearly called for refined sugar
ground up in a mortar. What else could it be, right? (Sigh) Oh well, I'll
know better next time.

I appreciate the courteous and thoughtful answer everyone has sent. I
especially like the idea of using finely ground sugar made in the food
processor. What a great idea! I'll probably experiment with raw sugar and
sugar cones next time, too. I may never be able to replicate the original
recipe perfectly, but at least I'll have a better idea of where my
discrepancies are.

Many, many thanks!

- -Margritte

Gryphon's Moon - Celtic Jewelry & More...

Bringing the Past to Life with timeless designs inspired by an
Age of Romance and Chivalry. Check out our web site at:
<http://maclain.home.mindspring.com>
Or email us at <mailto:gryphons.moon at mindspring.com>