[none]

Nick Sasso Njs at mccalla.com
Thu Jun 4 13:16:52 PDT 1998

one logical falacy to avoid is that 'if there aren't any recipes, they
didn't eat it.'  Bread recipes are scarce as hen's teeth in some
periods.....that does not mean they did not eat bread, just that there
are no/few remaining recipes we can find.  The trick is to find
references from literature, art, song, etc. of the period and make
inferential bridges based on fundamental knowledge of techniques from
the same time/region.

Any thoughts?

niccolo

- ---kat <kat at kagan.com> wrote:

> Adamantius writes:
>
> > The unfortunate truth appears to be that there are few or no jam
> > recipes
> > of any kind, from "period". There are a few for preserves that are
> > more like fruit cheeses or fruit leather... <snip>
>

> Ack!!!
>
> So then, what is the accepted general belief on the use of preserves
in reenacting period cooking?

> I have been happily placing my father's prizewinning apricot, berry
and plum preserves on my breakfast buffets and have never heard any
objection...

> ... I have always felt that his were "more period" than storebought;
if only for the fact that he often grows the produce himself and uses
less sugar than commercial jams...

> so... should I cease serving preserves, break my heart though it
would?

>       - k

SCA-Cooks".