Jams not period??? (was SC - Mulberry question)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jun 4 17:11:17 PDT 1998

> Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 12:25:18 -0700
> From: kat <kat at kagan.com>
> Subject: Jams not period??? (was SC - Mulberry question)

> So then, what is the accepted general belief on the use of preserves in reenacting period cooking?
>
> I have been happily placing my father's prizewinning apricot, berry and plum preserves on my breakfast buffets and have never heard any objection...
>
> ... I have always felt that his were "more period" than storebought; if only for the fact that he often grows the produce himself and uses less sugar than commercial jams...
>
> so... should I cease serving preserves, break my heart though it would?

Hey! Do you really think I would tell you to do something like that?

Okay. Here's the deal. You can either

a) cook your preserves (beyond the normal point where they seem done,
that is) quickly, in a wide pan like a deep skillet, until you can draw
a spoon through it and it forms clean walls -- thick enough to hold
stiff peaks, more or less. Watch out for burning, and for burns: this
stuff is hotter than boiling water, and could splash. Kinda like napalm.
When it's done (you don't need no steenking saucer pectin test) pour
into oiled molds for a marmalade or fruit cheese, which is eaten in
slices, or in wide flat drops on wax paper, for cakes or pastilles.
Pastilles are eaten drier and firmer. Serve either with bread or
biscuits (as in biscotti, not "cat-heads") and cheese. Earlier period
versions of this type of fruit paste were often made with honey.

b) serve your fruit poached in a spiced wine syrup, a reasonably similar
approach to what often was done with fruits like pears.

c) serve the preserves as you have been doing, and if anyone asks if
they are period, tell them the truth, and say, but hey, this is good
stuff, isn't it?

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com