SC - Guilty Conscience

Karen Evans tyrca at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 6 13:55:02 PDT 1998

Master Huen vented among friends:

Does anyone else have similar horror stories?
I'm sure we would all
be amused by them! Murkial, you should not feel
guilty in the least. You
have made a blow for creative freedom &
acknowledgment for all of us SCA
cooks! ;)

Thanks again for letting me vent my frustrations
here on the list!
<<<<<<<<

    While I have not had similar experiences as cook or kitchen help,
last year I was an autocrat, and I hope that I turned out to be one of
the few intelligent ones.  I outlined my ideas in an initial meeting
with the feastocrat, and then handed over the whole job to her.  I
only asked for information when I was creating fliers and the
submission for the Kingdom newsletter.
    Let us not be too hard on our erstwhile autocrats.  It is not an
easy job, and there are a myriad of unrelated problems that pop up
suddenly. But I found my best choice as autocrat was to choose people
to help me that I trusted, and then let them make the decisions that
they were in charge of.  If I began to worry about budget, or
publicity, or site problems, then would be the time for a meeting.
But not until.
    From what I have seen in this discussion, the problem has been
when the autocrat wanted to micro-manage everything.  This simply is
not necessary, and the whole thing runs much smoother if the autocrat
allows the individuals assigned responsibilities to take care of it
themselves.  She (and I use that in the generic sense, guys) should
just lean back and allow the event to run itself.

Tyrca