SC - Jellies vs. aspics

Valoise Armstrong vjarmstrong at aristotle.net
Sun Jun 7 08:12:07 PDT 1998

Allison wrote:

 As for cooked, sweetened, mashed fruit, you get 'mus' in
>the German corpus, which turns out like applesauce, etc., depending on
>the fruit.  It is used generally as a sauce.

Actually mus refers more to dishes of a certain consistency than to fruit
sauces. That's why you can find not only grape, fig, cherry, or apple mus,
but also mus recipes for wine, fish, egg, crayfish, chicken, rice, etc.
Some of them (even the fruit ones) are thickened with bread crumbs or eggs.

Probably the closest thing to conserves or fruit paste would be latwerge,
basically fruit thickened by cooking it down. I think Kuchenmeysterei (c.
1490) might have a recipe, I don't know of any others.

Valoise