SC - Michael Scott Shappe <mikey at Hundred-Acre-Wood.com>: Re: [Mid] Society for CREATIVE Anachronism

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jun 8 21:11:04 PDT 1998

>Particularly when you consider that getting brain-dead drunk is
>absolutely, 100% period for the entire stretch of what we CALL
>'period' and for just about every geographical location we consider
>valid SCA-fodder. So is getting drunk and playing musical
>instruments. So is being a pirate, getting drunk, and playing musical
>instruments.

Nonsense. There were lots of places with no pirates. The Sahara desert, for
example. Most of Poland. Switzerland.

>Indeed, my understanding and limited experience is that many of these
>parties involve the imbibing of home-brewed or home-fermented drinks
>made with period recipies.

Very few, actually. There don't seem to be many surviving period recipes
for fermented drinks, and most people in the SCA who do fermented drinks
are not even using the 17th century recipes, of which there are a lot (in
Digby).

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University