SC - Squash flowers as period food

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Thu Jun 11 19:51:52 PDT 1998

At 09:58 PM 11/06/98 EDT, Ras wrote:
>I hate to be the bearer of bad news here but the flowers of white flowered
>guords luffas, Italian Edible, Gooseneck, Bird's Nest) are no more than 1 inch
>across unlike the flowers of New World squashes which can attain rather large
>demensions. They would be next to impossible to stuff with anything. The
>suggestion for substituting Zucchini for the actual guords indicated was
>merely an attempt to offer a substitution that had a taste, texture and
>appearance similar to the real thing. My apologies if that suggestionsd has
>caused any confusion.

Thanks for the info! I have been substituting the zucchini vegetable/fruit
on the same basis, but since I've never grown the white flowered gourds, I
hadn't known how big (small) the flower was. As soon as Drake sends me some
seeds (or source), I'll certainly start. 1" does not sound like a viable
option to stuff...

So Ras, I wasn't confused, but I *was* making assumptions (tut, tut)...

Rowan

Robyn Probert
Customer Service Manager		Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager		Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Lawpoint Pty Limited			Sydney NSW  Australia