SC - Re: sources of sources.

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Jun 12 17:30:14 PDT 1998

Bear wrote:

>According to my notes, published cookbooks are few and far between
> before 1450, when the numbers published start to grow exponentially,
> probably due to moveable type and cheap paper and a growing number of
> wealthy literates.

So far as I know, Platina is the first printed cookbook, and was pubished
in 1475.

RuddR at aol.com wrote:

>I was refering to manuscript sources.  It seems to me that there are very few
>manuscript cookery books before 1400, but (comparatively) a whole slew of them
>shortly thereafter, indicating a sizable market for these.  At that time
>manuscript books of popular titles were produced by workshops of professional
>scribes for a growing, literate, middle class.  I suspect some of the
>surviving mid- to late-fifteenth cent. cookery manuscripts may have come from
>such sources.

1. Are you thinking specifically of England, or more generally?

2. Are there any of the fifteenth century manuscripts that show internal
evidence of having been produced in multiple copies for sale?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/