SC - Are creations period?

RuddR at aol.com RuddR at aol.com
Sun Jun 14 16:15:42 PDT 1998

<< korrin.daardain at juno.com writes:

 > << "If I have period ingredients and mix them
 >  in the restrictions of the cooking styles of period, but do not base it
 >  on any period recipe, is it period?" >> >>

Speaking as someone who doesn't have a personal stake in this argument, but is
familiar with this type of debate in other disciplines, if it isn't based on a
period recipe, it isn't period.  That's it.

You can call it "inspired by" or "in the style of", even "compatible with",
but you cannot call it period.  (The term my family has coined for such dishes
that we've made is "beyond medieval".)

There is a place for this type of innovative cuisine, but call it something
else.  (I hope someone on this list is working on answering the question:  "If
they had had semi-sweet chocolate in the Middle Ages, how would they have used
it?")

Rudd Rayfield