SC - Lookit what I found!

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Jun 14 19:45:03 PDT 1998

In a message dated 6/14/98 2:50:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, THLRenata at aol.com
writes:

<< Hmmm, didn't think of sweet potatoes. I'll be using white rose potatoes for
 mine.

 Renata >>

I interpreted the potato recipe as a very early rendition of  candied sweet
potatoes. In fact one of my own recipes contains sugar (brown, orange juice,
butter, etc. I also parboil the potatoes and then skin them and slice them,
pouring the sauce over top. Unlike the one you posted , however, I do finish
them off in the oven.

Since the sweet potato was introduced earlier than the white potato, I am
curious as to why you would interpret this recipe as a "white" potato recipe?
Especially since the sweet potato would have been enjoying a certain
popularity at about the time this recipe dates to, as opposed to the white
potato which was being grown mainly as a curiosity and,b by some farkmers with
vision, as animal fodder.

Ras (BTW, the recipe did make a fabulous sweet potato dish so I once again
thank-you since the only late period recipes I have access to are those posted
here. Although I restrict myself to medieval cuisine in the SCA, I find the
whole gammit of early modern recipes fascinating.)