SC - Sigh. (was- shish

Mon Jun 15 10:59:45 PDT 1998

> Maybe somebody with one of those wonderful food/herbal books could just
> nix
> the existance of modern salad lettuce (leaf and "iceburg") all together?
> The
> Mediterranean/Middle-eastern cookbook I have (can't remember the name but
> it
> is the good one with modern and period recipes in it) doesn't seem to have
> any
> lettuce salad recipes at all.  Cucumber, grain, parsley, onions...
> -brid

Lettuce does end the meal that with lettuce has had its beginning,
Lettuce, which too was wont to close the meals of their fathers.'
[Martial ep. Xiii]

Of lettuce (De lactuca): Bartholomaeus Anglicus, On the Properties of
Things, Book 17, Chap. 92
XVII.xciii. (Bart.)

Sorry, here are a couple of citations which make it impossible to wish
lettuce away.  Apparently, lettuce has been under cultivation so long, the
original plant can't be determined.  It does not prove the existence or
non-existence of lettuce salad, although I am of opinion lettuce would be
treated in the same manner as any other green, whatever that manner is for
the particular society and time.

My personal view is lettuce in a bread is an American atrocity.

Should you still be looking for recipes, a while back I posted a
Scandinavian recipe for cooked lettuce which purports to be 15th Century,
but has no provenance.  I can look it up for you, if you want it.

Bear