SC - creations and creativity

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Mon Jun 15 12:14:01 PDT 1998

gentle friends,

i've followed the thread on 'creation' with interest and my thoughts are
in agreement with cariadoc and others that if we don't have a recipe to
base something on we can't know it was period - and coming up with the
'experience' to make something in a period fashion is difficult to
impossible.

yes, i make substitutions, but i don't call the results period recipes.

my problem however is the current A&S standards.  My kingdom (the
Outlands) and to the best of my knowledge most kingdoms, have a checklist
that they go through in rating A&S entries.  One of the categories is
creativity.  Last fall one of my apprentices did a masterful redaction of
a period recipe complete with extensive documentation and very tasty
results.  However, she was marked -down- for not being 'creative' in
working with her recipe.  The insinuation was that if she had added some
additional ingredients or a different cooking method then her score would
have been perfect.  This was not by any means the first time that i've had
to deal with this.

What's our suggested course of action?

elaina