SC - Apple Butter Question

upsxdls at okway.okstate.edu upsxdls at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Jun 16 06:49:38 PDT 1998

     Micaylah,

     My recipe for any fruit butter - apple, pear, peach, apricot, etc.

     Apple (I use Red Delicious or Winesap, they mush easier) Butter
     Peel and core apples.  Place in a heavy pan with just enough water to cover
     the bottom of the pan.  Cover and simmer until fruit softens.  Mash with
     potato masher.  Measure mashed fruit.  Add an equal amount of sugar.  Cook
     over low heat, stirring occasionally.  If I want to add spices, I usually
     use whole cinnamon sticks and cloves wrapped in a cheesecloth bag.  If you
     use ground spices, it will turn the mixture dark.

     Pear is done the same way, but ginger is the usual spice.  Peaches &
     apricots do not have to be peeled, but should be run through a food mill to
     remove the skins before measuring.  I don't add spices to the peach or
     apricot butters.  They're too wonderful all by themselves!

     Leanna McLaren of Sparrowhaven
     "Who will love a little sparrow?"