SC - Beans for the Dead?

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Jun 16 07:46:09 PDT 1998

> This is an entry from my book, " 366 Days of Celebrations", for November
> 2 :  "Il Giorno dei Morti - Italy - In Rome, the Day of the Dead is the
> proper time to send engagement rings to their sweethearts, and to
> announce betrothals.  Children believe that if they revere their departed
> family throughout the year, they will return with gifts on this festival
> night.  'Fave dei Morti' or "beans of the Dead" are rich almond cakes
> colred and flavored with chocolate, orange, or other flavors.  They are
> made into kidney-bean shapes."

hi all from Anne-Marie

Interesting!
It is said that the ancient philosophers despised the humble bean as it was
said to contain the souls of the dead. It is also said that this is one
reason their fields became so nitrate depleted, as they knew the concept of
field rotation, but were loathe to plant the nitrogen fixing legumes.

Me, I love the things...:)
- -AM, how thinks benes yfryed with fava rocks the free world