SC - Lettuce

THLRenata at aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Tue Jun 16 09:40:12 PDT 1998

Caroline writes:

>>In the Fromond list of plants (over 100 designated) for the garden (English,
c 1500) lettuce is a pot-herb (ie to be cooked), not one of the salad herbs.

Has anyone tried this?  Personally I don't like cooked lettuce and tend to go
with Markham and use it in the salad.  I tend to use cos and lollo rosso
types, being non-headed types of lettuce.<<

The local Vietnamese restaurant we go to serves its various soups with a big
plate of raw lettuce and bean spouts. One tosses them into the extremely hot
soup and lets them cook a bit before eating. It's not period, but it's the
closest I've come to cooked lettuce.

Renata