SC - Chawettys, lettuce, dried meats

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Wed Jun 17 10:52:46 PDT 1998

Hello again!

First, the lettuce question.  As to early period stuff, I'd be
inclined to use the side leaves on an iceberg that's bolted, purely
because it bears the least resemblance to anything cultivated that I
can come across.  This is not for those who react to the milk in
Lactuca spp. though.  I must admit that I generally add dandelion
leaves to this kind of lettuce, just to balance the strong flavour.

Does anyone have the recipe for Chawettys?  It was posted some time
back, but only half of it came through.  I would be very grateful if
the post could be repeated, or else sent privately.

My lord husband is suggesting that, since there has been a small
amount of discussion about dried meats, I should recommend to you a
booklet published here in South Africa on this topic.  This is not
least because the Rand has now dropped from being worth 2 flat rocks
to only being worth one and a half, so people shouldn't find the book
too expensive.

It is called
Make your own Biltong and Droewors:  Including sausages, and cured
and smoked meats.  (Struik, Cape Town, 1991).  ISBN 1 86825 289 2.
The publisher's address is:  Struik Publishers Pty Ltd, Cornelis
Struik House, 80 McKenzie Street, Cape Town, 8001, South Africa.

Directions are very clear, with _pictures_ of every step of the way.
It deals with dried sausages and meat, smoked sausages and meat,
curing without drying or smoking, and fun extras like pastrami.
Quantities are all metric, terms for the most part English (but then
most of you know what 'grill' means anyway).  It also has one or two
nice ideas for rescuing stuff you think you've oversalted or wrecked
in some other way.

Cairistiona