SC - Apple Butter Question

Vicki Strassburg taltos at primenet.com
Wed Jun 17 11:28:38 PDT 1998

> Pear Butter? mmmmmmm.
>
>  . . .and the recipe is??? (impatient foot-tapping)

I'm not the poster, but I have an answer ... the same as the apple butter,
just switch the fruits. That's what I've done for years with whatever
fruit happens to be close to spoiling (unless it's bananas, then it's
bread). I've happened on some WONDERFUL things such as canteloupe butter
and pumpkin butter!

The way I was taught, "butters" are the basically fruit and sugar, cooked
down to a pasty consistency. Just when the sugar begins to carmelize, it's
done (that's what gives it the great rich brown color). Cold winter
mornings, warm fires, fresh bread, xxxx butter. Almost as good as warm
summer mornings, sunny porch, fresh bread and xxxx butter.  :-)

~Maedb