SC - Judging-OT

geneviamoas at juno.com geneviamoas at juno.com
Wed Jun 17 21:45:57 PDT 1998

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:32:38 EDT LrdRas at aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 6/17/98 1:24:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>geneviamoas at juno.com writes:
>
>Depends on what you mean by "knowledgeable".  I know at least one
>person who
>has a high order of merit in the field of cooking when, in fact, their
>over
>all knowledge in that field is cursory at best.  So using the criteria
>of
>"Laurel" or "Sycamore" or title/award as an indication of knowledge in
>person's field is somewhat shaky at best.
figure a little judicious questioning, probing, watching should help
narrow the field considerably. If I know more about the subject then they
do I don't need them. As I start watching the ones I know about if they
are any good I should also be seeing and meeting the up and comers so
have more potential fodder. True?

 I was asked because I had an "award" in the
>areas
>they needed a judge for.
 (I'm still trying to figure out the armor request
>which I suppose could be costuming by a big stretch of the
>imagination. :-)).<<<<<<Or sheer desperation>>>>>>
>>>>
>I did the best job I could relying on gut instinct, cursory knowledge
>and the
>WRITTEN guidelines provided to me by the person in charge of the
>competition.
>I will never do it again unless the request is for judgment in
>cookery
>Agreed unless, like in one of the responses I have gotten the person
outside the field of "expertice" Judged on the basis of what was common
to both fields - presentation and finishing touches to a piece. Or say
Documentation, or period accuracy in details of a piece... Is there any
rule that each judge must judge on all aspects of an entry? Would this
work?
This has been saved for further study. Thank you Genevia