SC - The Potato Recipe

Tim & Dee timdee at sgi.net
Thu Jun 18 18:58:36 PDT 1998

- ----------

> >>If a fresh orange was available, could you leave out the lemon juice?
> I am asking because this receipe sounds great, except for the part about
> adding lemon juice.  I am deathly allergic to lemons so cannot use them
> at all.<<
>
> Dierdre,
>
> Try this, using the sweet potato.  If it seems too sweet, add vinegar,
> 1/4 teaspoon at a time, to get a balance back into it.  Or a dry wine?

This might be a way to eat sweet potatoes that I just may like.  :-)

>  I'd love to try this recipe, although I don't know what kind of white
> potato a rose potato is, and I've already done my sweet potato research,
> so I'd use that.  I received a lovely big sweet potato as a birthday
> present from an 8 yr. old friend whom I'd recently taught to like them.
> (Aren't kids great?)  Have no rose water, and no distilling equiptment,
> but there are a few roses in the garden.  Do you suppose that if I soaked
> rose petals in the orange juice overnight that I'd get the flavor I want?
>  Heck, why not just grind up the petals as in rosee?

How do you make rose water?

> BTW, the sorrel has taken hold.  Bugs have taken hold of the sorrel.  I
> need to find an edible bug-discourager!

I don't know how well it would work with Sorrel but I heard that if you plant catnip in with Eggplants that the "eggplant bugs" will not bother your plants.  Might be worth a shot with the sorrel.

Dierdre