SC - Sourdough

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Sun Jun 21 23:00:25 PDT 1998

On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> If you use it often, you could leave it in a jar on the counter with a loose
> top.  There are a number of comments about the Alaskan "sourdoughs" carrying
> their sourdough starter in a pocket.

There is, of course, another method of keeping a sourdough starter. This
is to use a wooden baking through, and letting the remains of the last
dought form part of the next. This was done in country-side Finland up
until quite recently. I tried a version of this a few months ago. After
baking I left the bowl (plastic) stand on the counter until dry. The
next weekend I then simply mixed down the crusty remains with some
flour and water. And it started to rise after having been left alone
overnight, and worked well as a starter.

Or you could just freeze it between uses if you aren't going to bake
every week.

/UlfR
(wondering how to fake ale-barm for baking)

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                           parlei(at)algonet.se
http://www.algonet.se/~parlei
"Stop! Think! There must be a harder way to do this"