SC - Dutch ovens + other cooking gear

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Wed Jun 24 16:19:47 PDT 1998

At 02:36 AM 24/06/98 -0500, Allision wrote:

>I hope the latest try to get a jpg file to Adamantius worked, so you can
>see them.  Does someone want to try to put these scans on a web page?
>Presuming I ever get the hang of sending them?

yes please!

I can add some to the picture that Allison describes. Last year when I was
in Europe, I looked for anything I could find in this area. In Germany and
Austria I saw a few surviving examples of this raised cooking area. The best
was in a castle kitchens where I couldn't take photos. The raised area was
squarinh, about 4' on a side and about hip height - easy to see into pots,
with a big vent/chimney over the whole. There were some pots and fry pans
around, but not on the fireplace so I don't know if they were using the
circular tripods you see in the woodcuts or not. I'll dig out the photos I
do have of cookware and try for verbal descriptions of these too.

As for short handled frypans, there certainly are some examples, but in
pottery. Alex the Potter made some up for one of our group. They were
shallow with a short/regular handle and were copied from extant examples, so
I should be able to find out the sizes and where and when they came from.
There were numerous other examples of pottery cookware int his collection too.

>There's a picture or two from Bartolomeo Scappe's book, 'Opera'.  There's

Is this available? I keep coming across references to these 14th, 15th and
16th century Italian sources (Scappi, Platina and some anonymous writers)
and I believe some were reprinted in Italy in about 1980. Are there any
English translations available?

Rowan
Robyn Probert
Customer Service Manager		Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager		Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Lawpoint Pty Limited			Sydney NSW  Australia