Dangers of selection pressures (was Re: SC - Greetings!)

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Jun 25 18:45:49 PDT 1998

>I hate to rain on parades, but overuse of antibacterials selects for
>strains of bacteria that won't be killed by it.  This is much the same as
>when we "breed" pesticide resistant pests.  The only thing is that it
>happens faster here with a much higher level of killing power and a much
>faster generation time in bacteria.  While it is wonderful to be able to
>have cleaner hands, do be careful what seed you soe.

Bogdan, I agree within limits with what you're saying, ie; I never take
antibiotics for the "flu" or much else they tend to proscribe it for. I have
enuf problems (kidney disease) without taking away the one medication that
actually relieves the pain.

However, the bacteria that live in other mediums such as what might land on
your counter are somewhat killed by antibacterial soap and not a total wipe
out. The strength is not of a sufficient level to be a threat to the
mutation of a stronger strain which with be immune to it. I would, however,
hesitate to bathe with it as then it is destroying all bacteria whether they
be good or not and thats bad.

Micaylah