SC - OT Creativity Changes

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Jun 25 19:04:44 PDT 1998

Jon & Ania said...
<snip>
>When we started in the Society (give or take 10 years ago) it was simply
>the "act" of doing a craft that was not normally done in the mundane world
>that was encouraged.  For a person to make their own bread, cheese, wine,
>cordials, (garb, armor, jewelry, etc., etc.) was the draw, was the goal.
>(We were trying to find things with that "medieval" feel). If you wanted
>something, you learned how to do it or you bartered for it.
>
>Now things have changed; merchants have items available for purchase which
>has the wonderful effect of helping people achieve the "look" of the
>Society.  More and more we look for the crafts/creations to be exact
>reproductions of period pieces rather than the craft done in a period style
>for the sake of learning something new (with that "medieval feel") and fun.
> Our questions centered around how we have gained and how we have lost
>considering these factors.  By being able to purchase items, does that
>decrease a person's motivation for doing? (either making or bartering).
>Does the pursuit of exact reproductions drive people away from trying to
>(cook a feast, make a project, make a wine, which is our personal love) due
>to lack of time, resources, a fear of not meeting "the standards" or
>perhaps just wanting to have fun doing something different?

My take on this issue is somewhat simplistic. Since it is pretty nigh
impossible to be all things and know all things, people tend to be selective
and perhaps purchase/barter for what they don't know how, or are not
interested in learning about. For instance, I cook and do research, I write
and do research, but I don't and don't want to sew, fight, enamel or
otherwise learn what I am not interested in. Therefore in order to continue
to maintain that "medieval feel" I will purchase/barter these things even
tho', in some cases, I cannot document or otherwise wax eloquent on a piece,
does not mean that it isn't.

Learning something new does not scare me but I feel that there is only enuf
room in my life to continue along the chosen path of interest I walk. All
other aspects will suffer to a certain degree but that does not mean that
you cannot find exact reproductions from a reputable merchant.This also does
not mean that I am not interested in the "other" stuff, just that I have
only scratched the surface in my chosen calling and may feel like that for
years. I have however, taken a year off from cooking (yah right!) and am
trying something new but more in the service vein.

Does this make me a Spoonjock?

Micaylah