SC - Jewish food in period

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 26 20:26:59 PDT 1998

> If, next Pesach, I can talk my wife into giving up our family's traditional
> sedar fare and go medieval instead, I'll let you and the list know how it
> went.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Rudd
While it may not be medieval, I learned a nifty little Sephardic custom
while having seder with some Iranian Jews (not to mention that they are
allowed to eat legums).  There is a tradition that you are seated next to
your mother-in-law.  During Diyenu (one of the songs) each person holds a
scallion.  During the chorus, you are supposed to GENTLY hit your
mother-in-law with the scallion (and she you) to remove any agression for
the year before it happens.

Just a nifty one, I thought...
Bogdan