SC - cider apples

Nick Sasso Njs at mccalla.com
Mon Jun 29 07:00:50 PDT 1998

Subject:
Caroline commented:
>Another factor is that true cider is made from cider apples,
>which are much more bitter than eating apples, modern apple juice is
made >from eating apples.

Oh! I hadn't realized this, but it makes sense. Unfortunately, I imagine
most apples that I find in the grocery or the juice I find there is likely to
be made from these eating apples.

Anyone have any idea what the names of these cider apples? Or if the
juice is available somewhere? Maybe a dried mix or concentrate for
cider makers?

Did they make a distinction in period between sweet and cider apples?

I can tell you that cider is best with a mix of apples that contain sweet,
sour, and astrigent qualities.  I do not know if this is simiiilar in any MA
periods.  Cider can be had from several sources.  N. Georgia Mountain
area is the mother lode for apple cider and varietals.  Again, I have
some contact info at home in the brewing files that I cna post....I believe
they ship.

Modern McIntosh are a greaty single variety for cider.  I have a list of
period varieties of apples at home that I got off of this list, and will post
if I can remember to do so.

niccolo difrancesco