SC - competitions

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jun 29 18:34:37 PDT 1998

Mary Morman wrote:

> In many ways I agree with Mistress Elizabeth, but I do have some
> reservations.  If a whole 'class' of cooks avoid competitons because they
> are not judged well, because they are looking for what we consider
> inappropriate work, etc., then the SCA as a whole fails to grow in a
> culinary sense - even if it has many excellent cooks who do good research
> and good cooking.

There's a great deal to be said for this idea. I think everyone has
different needs which can be addressed or exacerbated by contests in an
SCA setting. Personally, I don't need the stress brought on by intense
competition: on a daily basis I compete for taxis, pay phones, a place
to stand on an elevator or a subway train, and a plethora of basic
necessities. I spend my life in constant war with my baser impulses,
which generally amount to the desire to crush anything that stands
between me and what I need at the moment. Unfortunate, but true, and I
don't want to spend my weekends that way if I don't have to. The SCA has
been very supportive of a more relaxed approach.

Essentially I gather that Mistress Elaina's comments about the avoidance
of competition by a majority of cooks limiting growth, are, in a way,
saying that if we all give in and become conscientious objectors, the
system will never change to something more nurturing or strengthening.

As I say, I haven't spent too much time involved in comeptitions, but I
can't recommend my own avoidance to everyone, since everyone is
different. I doubt that the occasional gentle reminder will suddenly
eliminate tactlessness in our lifetime, so I suspect what people neeed
to do is develop a somewhat thicker skin to some of the criticisms, and
accept tham for what they are worth: often, nothing. As my Mom still
occasonially says, "Consider the source."

One of the things I've found to be effective for me is to try to arrange
a face-to-face conference with a judge, after the comepetition. Don't be
shy about this: if the judge is a Laurel or a holder of your kingdom's
arts award, and they felt able to be a judge, then by only a very small
extension a face-to-face meeting to discuss your work is part of the
judge's job. I often find that peple who write some very offensive stuff
later regret it, especially in the face of the person the comments were
directed at. Essentially you go up to the judge, and say something like,
"What exactly did you mean when you said my small ale smelled like your
armor bag on August 18th?" It is a very rare judge indeed who will look
you in the eye and fail to back down from their original position. They
may have a constructive suggestion or two, but at the very least people
may learn that tactlessness in remote, faceless commentary settings can
have embrassing social consequences.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy